Original topics. Student-led. Discussion-based.
R’Courses: Pioneering Our Curriculum
Democratic Education: Where people are not passive recipients of knowledge, but rather are active co-creators of their own learning
In December 2014, the UCR Academic Senate approved the offering of student-initiated courses, also known as R’Courses. These student-initiated courses designed by undergraduates and taken by other undergraduates at UCR are based on the idea of Democratic Education; creating a community of equals, upholding values such as social justice, respect, and active and engaging participation.
R’Courses support students’ efforts to develop leadership skills, to innovate the undergraduate curriculum, and to promote democratic, experiential education on campus. Students from any undergraduate degree program at UCR are invited to design and lead their own course.
These courses are 1 unit, S/NC offerings facilitated by UCR undergraduate students. Each course has a faculty instructor of record who provides mentoring and support behind the scenes. The Office of Undergraduate Education works with the R’Course Governing Board to review R’Course proposals, coordinate course activities with academic departments, facilitate student recruitment, and provide student facilitator training.
For more information on leading an R'Course of your own, visit our Create a Course page.
An article from UCR Magazine article featuring Neima, a math major and transfer student who graduated spring 2019, and his creation of an R'Course. Neima's course was designed around his passion for math and the presentation of accessible problem solving to students of all backgrounds and abilities.
Upcoming classes for Winter 2020:
- Structural Barriers and Determinants of Health in the Inland Empire
- The Iranian Revolution
- Theory of Resistance
- Reciting the Quran
- Societal Issues in Modern Music
- Francisco Suárez: The First Modern Philosopher
- Humanitarian Medicine and Innovation
- Behind the Exhibits: Curation of Specimens in Natural History Collections
- A Technical and Nontechnical Introduction to Tableau
- Knitting in Art, Service, and Activism
- The History & Ethics of Aquatic Husbandry
- South Park: An Analysis of Identity within the Modern Zeitgeist
- Sports Science
- Constructed Languages
- Responsibilities of Farming: Sustainable Farming Practices and Goals
- Facilitating Language Learning Through Music
- Sekigahara: The Defining Battle of the Sengoku Era
- The Wes-Aquatic: Analyzing Wes Anderson's Films
- The Science of Skincare
Visit the Take a Course page for course scheduling information.
Visit our Courses page for descriptions of the courses, and a listing of all past R’Courses that have been offered at UCR since 2014.
Upcoming Events - R'Courses
The events system only shows the next upcoming event. If you do not see an event at your desired time, select the event and check the event details for more offerings.